Tuesday, November 07, 2006

At the movies...

During my stay in Amsterdam I've been to the movies a few times. Have also seen a couple of films in the apartment.
Finally caught the Davinci Code which I wanted to see more because of Paris than anything else, since I'll be there in a couple of days. I was really dissapointed by it, although it is beautifully shot. I felt it was too flat. Ian Mckellan rocked, though. We also rented Team America, World Police which was funny but I didn't really enjoy it. Maybe because after watching Davinci Code and it's beautiful photography, switching to a puppet film wasn't a good idea.

At the movies, saw Miami Vice. I liked the look of the film, the sometimes gritty photography and some of the action sequences. The sound mix was great also. The music I didn't enjoy so much.
Borat was funny although some scene made me uneasy. If you haven't seen the film, you'll know which ones once you do. It was still really funny. I really enjoy Sacha Baron Cohen's comedy.
We caught Babel a day after it's release. This was a mistake which I should have picked up from Borat. Obviously, here in Holland, films are subtitled in Dutch. Now, if the movie's in English, that's not a problem, but there were parts in Borat where he is supposedly speaking his language, and you miss that because of the subtitles. Same with Babel. Large parts of that film are in japanese, and arabic so I couldn't follow those parts too well, just some words that I picked up in the subtitles from their resemblance to English.
The film looks good, though. I'll try to catch again in Spain.
On sunday we went to see Little Miss Sunshine. What a relief. I really really liked this movie. I laughed a lot.
Alan Arkin was incredible, and the cast as a whole was great. Steve Carrell ( 40 yr. old virgin) was also great here.

No comments: